According to the research, a human territory consists only of about 25 locations at the time. The research is not taking any notice for the distances between them. The number 25 is suprisingly little considering the human being’s curiousity and capability to move around.
The study is quite exhaustive: it was made with 40 000 individuals participating to the study. They carried a GPS device which tracked their movements. People tend to visit the same places over and over again. That’s why the locals’ are so popular, people are loyal to places.
I started to wonder, what are my top 25 locations. Here you are, they are not in any order, these just occured to me.
- home – daily
- office – workdays
- a shop one have to walk through in order to pick an elevator to our office – 1 – 5 times a week
- shopping mall of my neighboroughhood – weekly
- my mother in law’s place – weekly
- my French lesson’s place – weekly
- Helsinki-Vantaa airport – twice a month
- railway station of Tampere – 1 – 5 times a month
- Helsinki railway station – 1 – 5 times a month
- Finlayson area in Tampere, two or three places there – once a month
- my hairdresser’s place – once a month
- Tampere Hall – Moomin Museum is our client and the concert hall is frequently visited – twice a month
- nearby forest for jogging – 1- 5 times a week
- a shop on my way back home from work – 1- 3 times a week
- a bus stop – 1- 5 times a week
- another bus stop – 1- 5 times a week
- the third bus stop – 1- 5 times a week
- the fourth bus stop – 1- 5 times a week
- the fifth bus stop – 1- 5 times a week
- my spouce’s workplace – 1 – 3 times a week
- swimming hall and gym – on a monthly basis
- another gym – on a monthly basis
- cafe Pella’s in Tampere – on a monthly basis
- restaurant Kattila in Tampere – once in 2018, 5 – 10 times 2017
- my secret free car park in Tampere – 1 – 5 a week
- market place – once a month during the summertime
- a cellar for the home made jams – every other month
- just to gather the 28th, the daily bike route to office, if the routes count – weekly during the summertime
The most amazing thing is, that when a new locations climbs up to the top 25 list, the older locations automatically drop off. You can easily test this on holiday or during the business trip. While staying in another city, you easily make new routines, the hotel is obviously a base camp, the nearest metro is soon located, the nicest cafe found – for a week.
Actually the time span is more and more interesting, do people have a similar way of loyalty, or are some individuals quicker to find new places?
My list has dropped off the library, and another, which I used to visit weekly if not daily, a cafe Lasipalatsi where I used to have a latte and croissant when arriving early to Helsinki, Library 10 in Helsinki, where I used to wait for the train back home, the important places for my family members and so on.
Read more on the Article on Nature Human Behavior